UC Berkeley is reengineering the campus budget system to better align resources to strategy. As part of this transformation, we launched a web-enabled Oracle Hyperion-based technology solution (locally called "CalPlanning".)
CalPlanning was one of UC Berkeley's first Operational Excellence funded projects. Background information on this project, including the original CalPlanning Project Charter, can be found in the Operational Excellence website.
The implementation of CalPlanning, UC Berkeley's financial planning and analysis tool, will enable the shifting of finance professionals’ effort from heavily manual to analysis and decision-support. Ultimately, the result will be a direct line of sight into financial plans and actuals at all levels of the institution that will enable multi-year, strategic decision-making within and across campus constituents.
CalPlan is a planning tool that provides a summarized view of financial data and the ability to Forecast and create an Operating Budget using data entry screens, automated calculations, reporting, and task lists to guide users through planning steps and workflow.
CalRptg is a reporting tool that provides access to detailed financial budget and actual data. CalRptg includes pre-defined report templates and utilizes CalRptg Chart of Accounts (COA), including all BFS COA values. CalRptg users have global read-only access.
Human Capital Planning (HCP) is a compensation planning tool that provides the ability to Forecast and create an Operating Budget using Employee and Position data. With HCP, you can:
- Plan for future changes to employee and position data imported from the HR system, Human Capital Management (HCM)
- Plan for new positions or to-be-hired employees
- Manage distributions at the employee and position level to allow for dynamic reporting on planned expenses and vacancies
- Plan for additional compensation expense by DeptID
- Review system calculated expenses including Fringe, Vacation, GAEL, and Fee Remission
HCPRptg is a reporting tool that provides access to detailed compensation expense data.